Monday, April 30, 2012
Spinach Brownies ~ Really!
Oh well, if I have, I have. Believe me, Spinach Brownies are worth a second look.
Sorry if you’re wishing for chocolate. There's no chocolate in these brownies. Instead, think quiche. In fact, think the most delicious quiche you ever tasted, baked in a square pan and cut into brownie size pieces.
(Makes an 8-inch x 8-inch pan)
1/2-cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/2-cup milk (any, but whole milk gives richest taste)
1/4-cup butter, melted (I use salted. Unsalted will work just as well)
1/2-cup diced onion
1/2-pound shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer the white cheddar)
1/2-box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. Squeeze out any remaining liquid by hand.
1. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in medium-sized bowl.
2. Mix in egg, milk and butter.
3. Stir in onion, cheddar and spinach.
4. Pour into 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan. I like to line the bottom with parchment paper.
5. Bake in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 35 minutes.
6. Cool. Cut into squares. Serve at room temperature.
See how easy these brownies are to mix and bake. For a 9-inch by 13-inch pan, double the ingredients.
Don’t get in a rut thinking of Spinach Brownies as only an appetizer. Can’t you just imagine serving them for breakfast or for a brunch? A late night snack?
CLICK AT THE SIDE OF ANY PHOTO TO SEE AN ENLARGED VERSION.
Step by Step in the Kitchen is now on Facebook.